Tape/36 for the
Usability enhancements for System/36 tape support
Tape/36 is a utility that provides a high-level,
easy to use, menu-driven, interactive interface to functions
commonly performed by programmers and operators on
IBM standard labeled tape volumes and files.
- Can be used in conjunction with the IBM Programmer and Operator Productivity
Aid PRPQ (POP), or as a standalone utility.
- Full screen tape file and library member name list displays.
- Operation codes are provided for requesting operations to perform on specific
files or library members.
- Flexible browsing capabilities.
- Command line interface provided.
- Ease of operation.
- User extendable.
Tape/36 has the following features:
- Can be used in conjunction with the IBM Programmer and Operator Productivity Aid PRPQ (POP), or as a standalone utility.
Tape/36 commands and displays are identical to those used in POP, with some
- Full screen tape file and library member name list displays. Up to 64 file or library member names are shown at a time, allowing
selection of the files or library members to work with. Command keys are provided for selecting the file or library member
names to be shown on the list, for requesting additional information about the files or library members being displayed, for
changing the order of the file names in the list, and for requesting system
- Operation codes are provided for requesting operations to perform on specific files or library members. Built-in operation codes
allow the user to browse, display header label information for, restore, and print tape files. Browse and restore operation codes
are also provided for tape file library members.
- Flexible browsing capabilities. A full screen of data is shown when displaying a file or library member. Function keys and
simple commands are used to move and search through the data. Included are commands to search for strings, keep and release
lines on the display, print the display, and perform command looping.
- Command line interface provided. A command line on the file and library member name list displays allows the user to scroll to
a specific file or library member name, or to enter SSP procedure commands.
- Ease of operation. The displays contain descriptive information to guide the operator in the use of the utility. The user may press
Help on any display for an explanation of the various functions and options
- User extendable. Support is also provided for defining custom operation codes and command keys to perform functions unique to
the users installation.
Specified Operating Environment
Hardware Requirements: Tape/36 requires the following minimum system
Software Requirements: Tape/36 requires the following software to be
installed on the system:
- System/36 (any model)
- One display station
- One printer
- One of the following tape units:
- 8809 Magnetic Tape Unit
- 6157 Streaming Tape Drive
- 53Mb Internal Streaming Tape Drive
- 120Mb High-Capacity Internal Streaming Tape Drive
- 75 blocks of disk space
- System Support Program (5727-SS1 or 5727-SS6) Release 5.1 or later, with Tape Support (Feature 6102 for 5727-SS1 or 6144 for
Basic Machine-Readable Material: This program is distributed as object code,
on 8-inch Diskette 2D or 5 1/4-inch Diskette 2HC. Diskettes are provided by and remain the property of SSPI.
Documentation: One copy of the Tape/36 Users Guide
will be supplied with the basic machine-readable material.
Charges: One-time charge: $195
Licensing: This program is licensed under the terms and conditions of a Program License Agreement. A separate license is required for each
designated machine on which the licensed program materials will be used. A copy of the agreement is included in the program package.
Trial Period: 30 days
This product has been placed in legacy status and is no longer available for order. Support for existing installations is available on a "best effort" basis.
Tape/36 is a trademark of System Support Products, Inc.
Return to SSPI home page